[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
FRC Discussion Forum • View topic - Bert's Troubles

Bert's Troubles

Chat and share all your news, both horse and non horse related subjects.

Moderator: Committee Member

Bert's Troubles

Postby Anne - David » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi all, well might as well try out this new forum, seeing as nobody else is!

For those that know Bert and are interested he's had a rotten few months we decided to get his foot x-rayed as he seemed to be getting a lot of abscesses, lame for a couple of days then okay for months.

The vets at the Dick found infection behind the hoof wall and it was tracking all over the place, they proposed cleaning out the infection by removing part of the hoof and excising the infected area.

All good and well, insurance agreed, vets happy, Bert looking forward to six months off, so the operation was carried out and was very successful.

However, his recuperation includes the fitting of a plaster cast to the hoof to provide stability, there’s a piece of hoof missing, a inverted V from about half way up the hoof to about 60mm at the bottom.

So after ten days hospitalisation Anne and I collected Bert, with a very pretty cast, and took him home for box rest.

Later that same night the immaculate cast was at one end of the stable and his lordship at the other, not a mark on the cast just no horse attached.

Immediate panic attack, especially after I got a look at the ‘excised’ area, so cleaned out the wound, packed it with gauze and bandaged it tightly, contacted the on duty vet and arranged to take him back the next day.

This time we got to observe the fitting of the cast, very professionally carried out another immaculate job.

Later that same night, 3hrs after getting home, the immaculate cast was at one end of the stable and his lordship at the other, not a mark on the cast just no horse attached.

This time I slipped the cast back on and bandaged it in place, contacted the on duty vet and arranged to take him back the next day.

So Bert was kept in for a few more days, a shoe, of types, fitted and a new cast fitted with a hospital plate for access.

The good thing is he gets out for a good while, as long as it’s dry. The bad thing is we get to take the plate of every other night to treat the wound.

However the prognosis is good and we expect to have him sound for Christmas.

David :wink:
Anne - David

Poor Bert

Postby Susan K » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Thats good you have got to the bottom of the problem.
When i got Baccus he had a good bit of his hoof cut out.
Good luck with keeping the cast on hehe
Susan K

Postby trigger » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:25 pm

sounds to me like bert takes after his dad
trigger

Postby jenny cushnie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Poor Bert! At least you know what you're dealing with now though :)

Sounds to me like Bert's trying to compete with Dee Dee for the thickest file at the Dick Vet :P
jenny cushnie

Postby debfair » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 pm

hope hes better soon, can u not put a spy cam up to see how hes getting his cast off? Would love to know how hes doing it he he :lol:
debfair

Postby Anne - David » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:32 pm

To respond to your comments,

Susan, thanks, I think!!!

John, do you mean Bert is young looking for his age? Has a youthful demeanour? Bears up to the slings and arrows of, you know the rest?

I can’t think of any other similarity.

Jenny, not even close.

Debbs, it was easy to work out, after he’s lain down, to get up he slides his front legs out straight the pulls them back underneath him to stand up. When he pulls back it’s just like taking your shoe off with the toes of your other foot.

Anyway seen as there’s three committee members alive and kicking (& able to use the fourm), how about answering my moan?

Love & kisses

David :wink:
Anne - David

Postby debfair » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:43 pm

clever boy bert, i cant even get my 4yo son to take his shoes off lol, hope hes better soon , looking forward to seeing you back in the saddle xx
debfair

Postby trigger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Forgotten whart the moan is!
trigger

Postby Donna H » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:36 am

Poor Bert, I hope he is getting plenty of polo's and carrots.
Horse up to your weight at Balbeggie riding school, I am going to lunge Bri on it, you are welcome to come too!!!!!!
Donna H

Return to Chit Chat